Helping You Obtain a Religious Worker Visa (R-1)

Obtaining an R-1 visa to come to the United States as a religious worker can involve a difficult process. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is very strict about the type of evidence that must be shown in order to qualify as a religious worker, and any omissions can cause delay or denial of your application.

Habib Hasbini has extensive experience representing rabbis, ministers and imams, as well as professionals who work in religious organizations. He has lectured to the leadership councils of Baptist churches in San Diego regarding visas for religious workers.

One of the most valuable services the Law Offices of Hasbini is an initial consultation to review your R1-visa case. While no lawyer can promise that your R-1 visa application will be successful, I can tell you if you are qualified and explain the documentation you will need to support your case.

Who Are Religious Workers?

Religious workers include ministers, rabbis, imams and others who work in a vocation, as well as professionals, such as teachers, who work for a religious organization in a religious occupation.

To qualify for an R-1 visa, you must have been a member of the sponsoring religious denomination for two years prior to your application. This denomination must have a bona fide religious organization in the United States.

What Documentation is Required to Support My R-1 Visa Application?

Documentation for an R-1 visa requires:

  • A detailed contract or job offer;
  • Evidence that the organization is exempt from taxation or qualifies for tax-exempt status pursuant to section 501(c (3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
  • Evidence that the organization can pay the salary offered;
  • A letter from the authorized official of the religious organization in the United States attesting to your membership and explaining your religious work in detail;
  • Your certificates of religious instruction and/or baptism; and
  • Evidence of your employment for the previous two years with an organization affiliated with the denomination in the United States.

Discuss Your Religious Worker Visas with a Board-Certified Immigration and Nationality Attorney

To arrange a consultation with attorney, Habib Hasbini, call 619=350-3111. The Law Offices of Hasbini is located at 945 4th Avenue, Suite 309, San Diego, CA 92101.